Head of Department
NAME: Ivan Nikifirov Minkov
DATE AND PLACE OF BIRTH: December 21, 1949, Plovdiv, Bulgaria
EDUCATION: University of Plovdiv, Biological Faculty, Bulgaria.
DEGREES: BS and MSc. in Biology, Ph.D., DSs (Doctor of Sciences).
POSITIONS HELD: Associate Professorship, Full Professorship.
Faculty of Biology, University of Plovdiv
"Tsar Assen" 24 Str. 4000 Plovdiv
Tel: +359 32 629 495
Fax: +359 32 629 495
Home: +359 32 639 020
Mobile: 0899 197 057
email: minkov @ uni-plovdiv.bg
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
1. Member of the Bulgarian Union of Scientist,
2. Member of the European Association on Photobiology,
3. Member of the Scandinavian Society of Plant Physiology,
4. Member of the European Society of Plant Physiology (FESPP).
English - writing, speaking, and understanding - very well.
Russian - writing, speaking, understanding - perfect.
1972 Technical assistance fellowship, Department of Biochemistry, University of Plovdiv,
1973 Technical assistance fellowship, Tobacco Research Institute, Dept. of Plant Physiology
1974 - 1977 Ph.D. Student, Department of Plant Physiology, University of Plovdiv.
1977 - Ph.D. in Biology
1978-1980 - Assistant Professorship in Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology.
April, 1988 - A course on fluorescence in the Perkin-Elmer Training Center, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, U.K.
1980-1987 - Lecturer in Molecular Biology.
1983 Guest Researcher, Gothenburg University, Plant Physiology Dept., Botanical Institute, Gothenburg, Sweden.
1986-1987 Guest Researcher, Gothenburg University, Plant Physiology Dept., Botanical Institute, Gothenburg, Sweden by International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) fellowship.
1988 - Associate Professorship in Molecular Biology, Department of Plant Physiology, University of Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
14 days in 1988, 10 days in 1989, 20 days in 1992 - Guest Researcher, Gothenburg University, Plant Physiology Dept., Botanical Institute, Gothenburg, Sweden.
20 days in 1987, 14 days in 1989, 10 days in 1990 - Guest Researcher, Institute of Photobilogy, Minsk, Belorusia.
1989 ?2002 - Head of the Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology Department, University of Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
1994 - D.Sc. in Biology
1995 - 1999 Deputy Dean of Biological Faculty, University of Plovdiv
1996 - Full Professor Fellowship in Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology.
1996-1998 Coordinator of a JEP on EC-TEMPUS Program - Introducing MSc on Plant Biotechnology in higher education in Bulgaria (480 000 Euro for 3 years). With: Free University, Department of Genetics, Amsterdam, Netherlands, University of Gent, Laboratory of Genetics in Flemish Institute of Biotechnology, Belgium; University of Gothenburg, Department of Plant Physiology, Sweden.
1996-1999 - Local coordinator JEP on EC TEMPUS Program (11281-96) - Introduction of a Bachelor Degree in Biotechnology (about 380 000 Euro for 3 years). With: UMIST - Department of Molecular Genetics, Manchester, U.K.; University of Crete, Institute of Biotechnology and Molecular Biology; AGRENA - France; Institute of Molecular Parasitology and Biomedicine, Grenada, Spain.
1998-1999 - Coordinator of a CME project on EC-TEMPUS Program - Institutional Self-Evaluation System in Two Bulgarian Universities .With: Kings College, London, U.K., CNE, Paris, France. (34 000 Euro for 1 year).
1999-2001 Local coordinator JEP on EC TEMPUS Program - Introducing MSc degree on Molecular and Cell Biology in Bulgarian Universities (140 000 Euro for 2 years).
1998 - Member of the Supreme Certifying Commission at the Council of Ministers - for certifying of Scientific Degrees and Position in science and education in Bulgaria.
1995-2001 Number of missions in different Universities in Europe, connected with the projects from European Community Program TEMPUS for restructuring of the higher education in Bulgaria ? Germany, Belgium, France, Greece, U.K., Netherlands, Spain (see above).
PARTICIPATION IN CONGRESSES AND SYMPOSIA
1983 Symposium Photomorphogenesis in Plants, Frostavalen, Sweden.
1983 Photosynthesis Congress, Brussels, Belgium.
1983 Symposium Protochlorophyllide Reduction and Greening, Brussels, Belgium.
1985 Symposium Photomorphogenesis in Plants, Vageningen, Holland.
1988 - XXV Symposium on Photosynthesis Research, 10-15 Oct., Tolbukhin, Bulgaria.
1989 Satellite Meeting of the Photosynthesis Congress Regulation of synthesis and assembly of pigment-protein complexes, Hindos, Sweden.
1990 Second Congress of the Plant Physiology Society in USSR, 24-29 Sept., Minsk, Belorusia.
1994 - Tenth Balkan Biochemical and Biophysical Days, Varna, 22-25 May, Bulgaria.
1995 - Workshop Stress Physiology and Plant Growth Regulators. 12-16 Sept., Varna. Bulgaria.
1998 - Fourth International Workshop on Orobanche Research, 23-26 September, Albena, Bulgaria.
1998 - Congress of Federation of European Societies of Plant Physiology, (FESPP), September, 1998, Varna, Bulgaria.
2001 ? Meeting "Together in the Future", 17-22 January, Tübingen, Germany. Conference for cooperation between Baden-Würtemberg Universities, Eastern Europe Universities, and the Swiss National Science Fund.
TEACHING AND ORGANISING TRAINING EXPERIENCE:
1. Supervisor of 6 Ph D students (four already defended their Ph.D. theses).
2. Supervising and training of assistants (lecturers).
3. Organization of advanced courses for Ph D. students and undergraduate students, including teaching - e.g. molecular biology, cell-and tissue culture, cell biology, plant molecular genetics, molecular plant development, molecular evolution.
4. Organizing a Bachelor Degree in Biotechnology at Biological Faculty, University of Plovdiv.
5. Organizing a Masters Degree in Plant Biotechnology at Biological Faculty, University of Plovdiv
6. Organizing a Bachelor Degree in Molecular and Cell Biology at Biological Faculty, University of Plovdiv
7. Organizing a laboratory of Plant Genetic Engineering at the Department of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology.
8. Organizing a laboratory of Molecular Biology and Lecture Hall at the Department of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology.
9. Head of a group for Self-evaluation and Institutional Accreditation at the Faculty of Biology.
LECTURES, LABORATORY COURSES AND SEMINARS
• Molecular Biology - full lecture course with seminars (60 h lectures + 15 h of seminars)
• Molecular Genetics - full lecture course with seminars (45 h lectures + 15 h of seminars)
• Cell Biology (delivered for 5 years - 1991-1995, 60 h lectures)
• Plant Physiology and Plant Biochemistry - practicals.
• Genetic Engineering (delivered for 1 year - 1990, 45 h lectures)
• Chloroplast Development in Higher Plants - postgraduate course (45 h lectures, 15 h seminars).
• Molecular Evolution ? to start September, 2002- for a MSc course in Cell and Molecular Biology
From 1973 to 2000 participation and leadership in different research projects on the following subjects:
• - Chloroplast Development and Chlorophyll Synthesis
• - Physiology, Biochemistry and Cell Ultrastructure Higher Plants
• - Photosynthesis and Productivity of Higher Plants
• - The Distribution of Photosynthetic Products in Higher Plants
• - Regulation of Nitrate Reduction and Nitrate Reductase and Activity in Higher Plants.
• - Decrease of Free Nitrates in Vegetables by Means of Exogenous Treatment.
• - Use of DNA markers in taxonomy of parasitic plants (Orobanche).
• - Molecular Basis of Plant Stress Response ? Photooxidative Stress in Higher Plants.
Chloroplast Development - Synthesis of Chlorophyll Pigments and Related Proteins in Developing Plant Plastids; Ultrastructural Changes in Developing Plastids; Regulation of Nitrate Reductase and NADPH-Protochlorophyllide Reductase Activity in Higher Plants as NADPH-depending Enzymes; Molecular Conformation and Localization of Membrane Proteins; Molecular Basis of Plant Stress Response; Use of DNA markers in Molecular taxonomy of Parasitic Plants.
LIST OF SELECTED PUBLICATIONS IN PEER REVIEW JOURNALS - by April, 2011
1. Baev V., Naydenov M., Apostolova E., Ivanova D., Doncheva S., Minkov I. and Yahubyan G. Identification of RNA-dependent DNA-methylation regulated promoters in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 48: 393-400, 2010.
2. Baev, V., Daskalova, E., Minkov, I. Computational identification of novel microRNA homologs in the chimpanzee genome. Computational Biology and Chemistry 33 (1), 62-70, 2009.
3. Baev,V. Milev I., Naydenov,M., Apostolova E., Minkov G., Minkov I. and Galina Yahubyan. Implementation of a de novo genome-wide computational approach for updating Brachypodium miRNAs. Genomics, doi:10.1016/j.ygeno.2011.02.008. (In print).
4. Boncheva R., Dukiandjiev S., Minkov, I., deMaagd, R., Naimov S. Activity of Bacillus thuringiensis δ-endotoxins against codling moth (Cydia pomonella L.) larvae. Journal of Invertebrate Pathology, 92 (2), 96-99, 2006.
5. Daskalova E, Baev V, Rusinov V and Minkov I. 3'UTR-located ALU Elements: Donors of potential miRNA target sites and mediators of network miRNA-based regulatory interactions, Evolutionary Bioinformatics Online. 2, 99-116, 2006.
6. Denev I., Minkov I. Photosynthetic membranes of higher plants. In Handbook of Plant and Crop Physiology. M. Pessarakli, (Ed.), Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 281-297, 2001.
7. Denev I., Minkov I. Use of fluorescence probes ANS and pyrene for studying the localization of proteins in inner membranes from wheat etioplasts. Photosynthetica, 33, 2, 303-312, 1997.
8. Denev I., Minkov I., Sundqvist C., Savchenko G.E., Kluchareva E.A. Changes in the localization of the proteins in isolated inner membranes from wheat etiochloroplasts under irradiation measured by 1-anilino-8-naphthalene sulfonate and pyrene. J. Plant Physiol, 150, 668-673, 1997.
9. Denev I., Yahubyan G., Minkov I. Recent advances in chloroplast development in higher plants. In Handbook of Photosynthesis, Second Edition. M. Pessarakli, (Ed.), Taylor&Francis CRC Press, Inc., New York, 451-479, 2005.
10. Denev I., Yahubyan G., Minkov I., Sundqvist C. Light-induced changes of protochlorophyllide oxidoreductase membrane coordination in prolamellar bodies, isolated from etiolated carotenoid-deficient plants, as revealed by fluorescence probes. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA). Biomembranes. 1716 (2): 97-103, 2005.
11. Dulev S., Renty C.d., Metha R., Minkov I., Schwob, A., Strunnikov, A. Essential global role of CDC14 in DNA synthesis revealed by chromosome underreplication unrecognized by checkpoints in cdc14 mutants. PNAS, 106, 34, 14466-14471, 2009.
12. Gadjev I, Vanderauwera S., Gechev TS, Laloi C, Minko, I, Shulae, V., Apel K., Inzé D., Mittler R and Van Breusegem F. Transcriptomic footprints disclose specificity of ROS signalling in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol., 141 (2): 436-445, 2006.
13. Gechev T, Ferwerda M., Mehterov N., Radeva V., Denev I., Qureshi K., Laloi C., Toneva V., Minkov I., Hille J. Mutational analysis to dissect oxidative and abiotic stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. In: Q.Y. Shu (ed.) Induced Plant Mutations in the Genomics Era. pp.147-150, 2009.
14. Gechev T, Petrov V, Minkov I. Reactive oxygen species and programmed cell death. In: Reactive oxygen species and antioxidants in higher plants. P. 65-78. Editor(s): S. Dutta Gupta. CRC Press. ISBN: 9781578086863, 2010.
15. Gechev T. I. Gadjev, F. Van Breusegem, D. Inzé, S. Dukiandjiev, V. Toneva, I. Minkov. Hydrogen peroxide protects tobacco from oxidative stress by inducing a set of antioxidant enzymes. Cell. Mol. Life Sci.(CMLS). 59: 708-714, 2002.
16. Gechev T., I. Gadjev, S. Dukiandjiev, I. Minkov. Reactive oxygen species as signaling molecules controlling stress adaptation and programmed cell death in plants. In Handbook of Photosynthesis. Second Edition. M. Pessarakli, (Ed.), Taylor&Francis CRC Press, Inc., New York, 209-221, 2005.
17. Gechev T., I. Minkov, J. Hille, Hydrogen peroxide-induced cell death in arabidopsis: Transcriptional and mutant analysis reveals a role of an oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase gene in the cell death process. IUBMB Life, 57, 3, 181-188, 2005.
18. Getchev T., H. Willekens, M.Van Montagu, D. Inzé, W. Van Camp, V. Toneva, I. Minkov. Different responses of tobacco antioxidant enzymes to light and chilling stress. J. Plant Physiology, 160, 509-515, 2003.
19. Gozmanova, M, M. A. Denti, I N Minkov, M Tsagris, and Martin Tabler. Characterization of the RNA motif responsible for the specific interaction of potato spindle tuber viroid RNA (PSTVd) and the tomato protein Virp1. Nucl. Acids Res., 31, 5534-5543, 2003.
20. Jahoubjan G., Minkov I. Enhanced chlorophyll accumulation after flash irradiation of etiolated wheat plants treated with SAN-9789. J. Plant. Physiol., 151, 649-653, 1997.
21. Koleva A., Toneva V., Minkov I. Photodynamic effect of 2,2'-dipyridyl and glutamic acid on wheat and vegetable marrow plants. Photosynthetica, 31, 2, 189-196, 1995.
22. Minkov I. Chloroplast Development in Higher Plants. In Handbook of Photosynthesis. M. Pessarakli, (Ed.), Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 553-573, 1996.
23. Minkov I. N., Ryberg M., Sundqvist C. Properties of reformed prolamellar bodies from illuminated and redarkened etiolated wheat plants, Physiol. Plant., 72, 725, 1988.
24. Minkov I., A. Ljubenova. Parasitic Flowering Plants from Genus Orobanche. Molecular Evolution, DNA Markers, and Physiologic Relation with the Host Plants. In Handbook of Plant and Crop Physiology, M. Pessarakli, (Ed.), Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 789-802, 2001.
25. Minkov I., Jahoubjan G., Toneva V. Photooxidative Stress in Higher Plants. In Handbook of Plant and Crop Stress, M. Pessarakli, (Ed.), Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, 499-525, 1999.
26. Minkov I., Sundqvist C., Ryberg M. Protochlorophyllide and chlorophyllide in reformed prolamellar bodies and thylakoids of irradiated dark-grown wheat. J. Plant Physiol., 141, 708-713, 1993.
27. Minkov, I., Sundqvist, C., Ryberg, M. Spectral changes of chlorophyll pigments in irradiated reformed prolamellar bodies isolated from wheat etiochloroplasts. Photosynthetica, 23, 3, 306, 1989.
28. Naimov S., Boncheva R., Karlova R., Dukiandjiev S., Minkov I., de Maagd R.A. Bacillus thuringiensis serovar thompsoni HD542 Crystal Proteins: Solubilisation, Activation, and Insecticidal Activity. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74: 7145-7151, 2008.
29. Naimov, S., E. Martens-Uzunova, M. Weemen-Hendriks, S. Dukiandjiev, I. Minkov, and Ruud A. de Maagd. Carboxy-Terminal Extension Effects on Crystal Formation and Insecticidal Properties of Colorado Potato Beetle-Active Bacillus thuringiensis δ-Endotoxins. Molecular Biotechnology, 32, 3, 185-196, 2006.
30. Petrov V, Vandepoele K, Van Breusegem F, Minkov I, Gechev T. Identification of putative cis-regulatory promoter elements specific for different types of reactive oxygen species in Arabidopsis thaliana. Comput. Biol. Chem. 33 (1): 62-70, 2010.
31. Qureshi MK, Radeva V, Genkov T, Minkov I, Hille J, Gechev TS. Isolation and characterization of Arabidopsis mutants with enhanced tolerance to oxidative stress. Acta Physiol. Plant. 33: 375-382, 2010.
32. Radeva V, Petrov V, Minkov I, Toneva V, Gechev T (2010) Effects of cadmium on Arabidopsis thaliana mutants tolerant to oxidative stress. Biotech. & Biotechnol. Equip. (SE) 24, 2010.
33. Rusinov V., V. Baev I.N. Minkov and M. Tabler. MicroInspector: a web tool for detection of miRNA binding sites in an RNA sequence, Nucleic Acids Research, Web Server issue Vol. 33, W696–W700 2005.
34. Ryberg M., Minkov I. Characteristics of in-vivo reformed prolamellar bodies after isolation, In Advances in Photosynthesis Research, Vol. 4, Sybesma, C., Ed., Martinus Nijhoff/Dr W. Junk Publishers, The Hague/Boston /Lancaster. 633, 1984
35. Savchenko G.E., Kluchareva E.A. Abramchik L.M., Serduchenko E.V., Minkov I.N., Chajka M.T. Protochlorophyllide oxidoreductase in the process of greening in barley seedlings. Plant Physiology (Russ.). 42, 4, 559-566, 1995.
36. Toneva V., Koleva A., Minkov I. Influence of glutamic acid and 2',2'-dipyridyl on the protochlorophyllide and protoporphyrine-IX accumulation and their photodynamic action in green monocotyledons and dicotyledons. J. Plant. Physiol., 150, 57-62, 1997.
37. Toneva V., N. Shalygo, E. Yaronskaya, N. Averina, I. Minkov. Influence of photodynamic processes induced by 2,2'-dipyridyl on the enzymatic system of chlorophyll biosynthesis. Photosynthetica, 34, 4, 555-560, 1997.
38. Toneva V., N.V. Shalygo, V.V. Voronetskaya, N, G. Averina, T. Gechev, I. Minkov. Investigation of the porphyrinogenesis in barley leaves incubated with Mn2+ cations and d-aminolevulinic acid. J. Plant Physiology, 159, 1047-1053, 2002.
39. Toneva V., T. Gechev, I. Minkov. Induction of porphyrine biosynthesis by d-aminolevulinic acid, glutamic acid and 1, 10-phenantroline and their possible photodynamic action in wheat and mustard plants. Photosynthetica, 39, 4, 597–601, 2001.
40. Yahubyan G., Gozmanova M., Denev I., Toneva V. and Minkov I. Prompt response of Superoxide dismutase and Peroxidase to dehydration and rehydration of the resurrection plant Haberlea rhodopensis Friv. Plant Growth Regulation, 57, 49-58. 2008.
41. Yahubyan G., I. Minkov, C. Sundqvist. Carotenoid dependence of protochlorophyllide phototransformation in dark-grown wheat seedlings. Photochem. Photobiol., 65, 171-176, 2001.
Patent - No 60 672/05.02.1996. (54) Preparation for regulation of the nitrate content in the higher plants. BG 60672 B1.
Patent No 60 673/05.02.1996. (54) Preparation for regulation of the nitrate content in the higher plants. BG 60673 B1.
CERTIFICATE AND TECHNOLOGY FOR PRODUCTION OF NITROPYRIN® - for decreasing the free nitrates in salad, cucumber and other vegetables. Issued on the basis of the two patents, medical tests, field tests, technology etc.).