The department has attracted a substantial amount of research grants both from European origin (FP6, FP7, NATO, and Swiss National Research Foundation) and national (National Fund "Research Investigations"). The number of scientists grew and today the Department of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology, University of Plovdiv (PPMB-UoP) employs 25 persons including 16 researchers, 3 technicians and 6 Ph.D. students.
Since 1994 until now, the department has taken participation in many scientific and educational projects with fund amount 2 000 000 EUR. In the last 3-4 years the department has involved in seven projects under Sixth Framework Programme (FP6), in a result University of Plovdiv "Paisii Hilendarski" has been awarded as best performed regional FP6 University.
For the last 6-7 years researchers have published a number of good publications with a total Impact Factor (IF) of about 130, a number of review papers are published in several U.S. monograph books, which undoubtedly places the PPMB among the top research groups in Bulgaria.
1. Is microRNA expression controlled by RNA-directed DNA-methylation in the stress response of Arabidopsis?, Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract DOO2 - 279, 2008.
2. Oncogene PTGS regulation and miRNAs-oncogene interaction, Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract VU-L-232, 2007
3. Isolation and molecular analysis of the organization and expression of the genes encoding Superoxide dismutase in Haberlea rhodopensis, Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract B-1516, 2005
4. Identification and characterisation of RNA silencing mechanism in parasitic plant Orobanche ramose. National Science Fund Stimulating of R&D in University, 2008-2011
5. Study on the interaction between Potato Spindle Tuber Viroid, Orobanche ramosa a parasitic plant, and tomato, the host of both of them. National Science Fund: Bilateral Greek-Bulgarian Program; BG- 4, 2005-2008
6. Searching for natural RNA targets of tomato viroid-binding protein Virp1 in plants. Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Young Scientist Research Program Contract MU-1601, 2006-2009
7. Molecular analysis of the organization and expression of the genes encoding Superoxide Dismutase in Haberlea rhodopensis, Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract MU-FS-15, 2007
8. Conservation and investigation of the biodiversity of species from the Gesneriaceae family (Harberlea sp., Ramonda sp.) occurring in different habitats on the Balkans by establishing an in vitro gene bank, Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract DOO2 - 236, 2008
9. Recombinant E. coli strains for tryptophane productio". Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract MU-FS-11, 2008-2011
10. Bacterial toxins for insect control, CОST862, 2006-2009
11. Expression in E, coli and further characterization of antifungal proteins of Aspergillus giganteus". Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract MU-B 1509, 2005-2008
12. Bt crystal-spore preparations for Colorado potato beetle control. Financed by National Science Fund - Bulgaria, Contract MU-C 1302, 2005-2008
13. Regional University Center for science and training in the field of genomics and bioinformatics. ,Financed by National Science Fund, Contract: INZ01/0129, 2008 - 2011.
14. Functional-genomic approach for analyzing interrelation between reactive oxygen species and plant hormones, regulating responses of plants to abiotic stress and apoptosis. Financed by NSF, Contract: RG01/0102, 2008 - 2011.
15. Biotechnology approaches for increasing stability of important for Bulgarian agriculture crops against root parasites from the group of Orobanche spp., Financed by NSF, Contract: DBU-438, 2008 - 2011.
16. A research network for monitoring of quality and food chain safety.Financed by NSF, Contract: DBU - RNF01/0105.
17. Investigation on the protective role of Н2О2 against oxygen stress and the role of calmodulin and glutamate decarboxylase in protective mechanisms.Financed by NSF, Contract: К-1203/ 2002 - 2005.
18. Stimulation of the researches for identifying key genes for plant stability against stress biotic and abiotic factors within the framework of Genomic Research Center in University of Plovdiv. Financed by NSF, Contract: VU-B-204/ 2006 - 2010.
19. Molecular genetic analysis of Н2О2-induced programming cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana. Financed by NSF, Contract: UB-3/ 2005 - 2008.
20. Supporting of developing of Regional Genomic Center in University of Plovdiv. Financed by NSF, Contract: CRP - 107/ 2007.
21. Building of multifunctional laboratory for genetic and molecular markers, making a valuation and an inventory of nationally important plant and animal resources. Financed by NSF, Contract: IFP/ 606, 2007-2009.
22. Investigation of the conservative level in synonymous sites on structural genes in organisms from different taxonomic groups. Financed by NSF, Contract: GZ/ 03, 2004-2007.
23. Mapping and foresight of agricultural and food research capacity in the New Member States and in the Candidate Countries (EU-AGRI MAPPING -SSA 022801), 6 FP-EC
24. "Support to animal science organization from central Europe candidate countries" (SSA, 2003-506087), 6 FP-EC
25. "FOODLINK" contract No INCO-CT-2004-003321, 6 FP-EC
26. "Training for national contact points and support organizations with special focus on candidate countries in areas of food quality and safety", SSA - 506518, 6 FP-EC
27. "Agro-economic policy analysis of the accession and the candidate states and the countries of Western Balkan "(CEEC AGRI POLICY) SSA-513705, 6 FP-EC
28. "Setting up of and agricultural and food research network in the western Balkan countries", SSA-026361, 6 FP-EC
29. Developing efficient and stable biological containment systems for genetically modified plants, STRP - 023018, 6 FP-EC
30. AgriPolicy - Enlargement Network for Agripolicy Analysis, 7 FP-EC
31. BIO-NET .- A Network of National Contact Points providing cutting-edge NCP services to the Knowledge Based Bio-Economy research community Grant Agreement Number 211363 KBBE, 7 FP-EC
32. „Plant-produced Vaccines", Grant Agreement Number 227056, 7 FP-EC
33. Support from the SYNTHESYS Project, which is financed by European Community Research Infrastructure Action under the FP6 "Structuring the European Research Area" Programme: